Kansas offers three different standard teaching licenses, the Conditional, Professional, and Accomplished. As a new teacher in the state, you’ll start out with a Conditional, and there are a number of ways that this can be achieved.

To get a conditional teaching license in Kansas, you’ll need a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university, completion of a state-approved teacher preparation program, and have completed both of them within the last six years. Additionally, you’ll need to complete a content assessment in the endorsement areas you would like to have on your license, plus an assessment of the Principles of Learning and Teaching. If you’re coming from out-of-state, you have a few options. You may be able to bypass Kansas requirements by showing that you have completed comparable education and testing. You can also choose to be issued a two-year exchange license, or if hired by a Kansas district, a one-year nonrenewable license. Out-of-state teachers with experience may even be able to bypass the conditional teaching license qualify for the higher-leveled professional license.

Kansas has about 308 school districts, and the Wichita School District is one of the largest in the US. Popular cities to work in include Wichita, Overland Park, Kansas City, and Topeka. The Kansas Education Employment Board has created a site, Kansas Teaching Jobs, which allows teachers to search for jobs and employers, plus build a resume on the site. The site also offers information on scholarships, events, and lots more.

Your conditional license will last for five years, after which you can renew for another five years with no requirements. If more than five years have passed since your initial licensure, you’ll have to choose between taking eight semester hours of graduate level credit related to your licensed endorsements, showing proof of one year of accredited experience, or retaking the content and pedagogy assessments. With a five year professional license, you have the choice between 120 professional development points (if you hold a graduate degree), 160 professional development points (if you do not hold a graduate degree), 8 semester credit hours toward a new license endorsement, or become certified by the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards.

Interested in becoming a teacher or education professional?

We'll help match you to accredited online college programs according to your interests.

Search Online Degrees