Massachusetts offers three different kinds of Educator Licenses. These are Academic, which covers PreK to 12th grade, Vocational Technical Education, designed for teachers in state-approved vocational technical education programs, and Adult Basic Education, a voluntary license created for teachers at an adult level.

Teachers following the traditional licensure route will need to apply for an Initial License in Massachusetts. This license is valid for five years and requires a bachelor’s degree, completion of an Educator Preparation Program, and passing scoreson the MTEL. Out-of-stat teachers may apply for a temporary license, which is valid for one calendar year. This license requires three years of teaching under a valid and comparable out-of-state license, as well as fulfillment of Massachusetts’ terms of interstate agreements. If you have not yet completed your Approved Educator Preparation Program, you can still apply for a Preliminary License. This license is granted to applicants with a bachelor’s degree and passing score(s) on the MTEL. Some Preliminary License applicants will need to complete additional coursework. If you’d like a Vocational Technical Teacher license, you must possess a high school diploma or GED, required employment experience, and pass required tests. For some fields, you’ll also need a college degree and occupational license or certification. For the Adult Basic Education License, you will be required to hold a bachelor’s or master’s degree, as well as complete the MTEL.

Massachusetts boasts one of the largest public school systems in the country, Boston Public Schools, although there are a number of other excellent school districts in the state. You may also find teaching work in large metropolitan areas like Boston, Worcester, Springfield, and Lowell. The Gateway for Educators of Massachusetts (GEM) can provide assistance for new teachers who would like to find employment in the state.

To receive a Professional License, you will need to complete three years of employment under an Initial License, a Teacher Induction Program, 50 hours of mentoring beyond your induction year, and additional education based on your program or degree level. Renewing your Vocational Technical Teacher license or Adult Basic Education license is only contingent upon completing satisfactory employment while under your license.

Interested in becoming a teacher or education professional?

We'll help match you to accredited online college programs according to your interests.

Search Online Degrees