Rhode Island

In the small state of Rhode Island, you’ll find plenty of teaching opportunities, but you have to become certified first. For most teachers, this means following an approved teacher education program from a college or university in the state, but Rhode Island offers a few different options.

Every new teacher in Rhode Island will need to become qualified for a Certificate of Eligibility for Employment, which is valid for three years. To receive this certificate, you’ll need a bachelor’s degree from an accredited or approved institute of higher education, including an approved program for teacher preparation within the past five years. If you haven’t completed an approved program, you may be certified by transcript analysis that shows six semester hours of student teaching and 24 semester hours of specific teaching coursework. You will also be required to receive a passing score on Rhode Island Content Knowledge and Content Area Exercises tests. Teachers from outside of the state of Rhode Island may be able to qualify for a certificate under the state’s reciprocity agreements, which allow applicants with a valid and comparable certificate from participating states to receive a teaching certificate in Rhode Island. You may also request that Rhode Island perform an evaluation of your credentials for certification. No matter what path you take to certification in Rhode Island, you will be required to pass specific Praxis exams and other testing as needed.

Being a small state, Rhode Island does not have a lot of school districts, but the Providence School District is one of the largest in the state. You can generally find employment as a teacher in the Providence community, as well as Rhode Island’s other large population areas such as Warwick, Cranston, and Pawtucket. Rhode Island does not maintain a central site for employment, however, the Rhode Island Education Exchange offers a detailed list of districts and schools to contact for employment information.

As a Rhode Island teacher, you will be expected to complete a certain amount of professional development. The state’s program for professional development is called I-Plan, and generally requires that you formulate your own plan for personal development and education. Some of the activities that you can do to complete your plan are college credit, conferences, and professional leadership experiences.

Interested in becoming a teacher or education professional?

We'll help match you to accredited online college programs according to your interests.

Search Online Degrees