In the state of Virginia, you’ll find multiple routes to becoming a licensed teacher. These include Virginia approved programs, reciprocity, and alternative routes to licensure.

Perhaps the most popular method of licensure in Virginia is to follow a Virginia state approved teacher preparation program through a college or university that offers teacher education. If you are a teacher from another state, you may qualify for a Virginia teaching license through the state’s reciprocity policy, provided that you have comparable endorsement areas and have completed a state approved teacher preparation program through a regionally accredited four year college or university. You may also qualify if you hold a valid out of state teaching license without deficiencies. Teachers with foreign credentials will need to complete an evaluation of credentials by an approved agency. Virginia also offers an alternative route to licensure, which is available through a recommendation from your employing Virginia school division or non public school. Through this program, you will be issued a 3 year nonrenewable license that will become permanent once you have satisfied your endorsement coursework, experiential learning, and other specific requirements. Additionally, Virginia offers an Alternative Route for Career Professions, which is available to career switchers who have a baccalaureate degree and have applied to an approved Career Switcher program, as well as other requirements. All teachers will be subject to additional requirements, which include testing and background checks.

Virgina has a few large school systems, taking up 5 spots in the nation’s 100 largest school districts. The largest of these is Fairfax County Public Schools. Other great places to look for a teaching job in Virginia include Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Chesapeake, and Richmond. You can find Virginia teaching jobs through a TeachVirginia, school division web sites, and recruitment fairs/

Virginia teachers must complete specific requirements for renewal of a teaching license. You will need to follow the Child Abuse and Neglect Training tutorial, Technology Standards for Instructional Personnel, and 180 professional development points, which can be chosen from eight different options, including college credit and professional conferences.

Interested in becoming a teacher or education professional?

We'll help match you to accredited online college programs according to your interests.

Search Online Degrees